Kenyans love to gamble. It does not come as a surprise that many real money online casinos and bookmaker operators are now targeting punters from this country. Since real money online casino gambling is prohibited in the country, gambling enthusiasts are allowed to register at offshore online casinos for Kenyans, to play their favorite games. Online casino gambling is the most popular part-time activity in Kenya, which is also the third-largest market in the African continent. The legal age of gambling in Kenya is 18 years. Other than online gambling sites, there are lots of land-based casinos located in various parts of the country, where you can find popular games, big tournaments, excellent services and much more.
Legal State of Online Casino Gambling in Kenya
One of the reasons why gambling has been flourishing in Kenya is because it was legalized back in 1966 with the Betting, Lotteries and Gaming Act. The Betting Control and Licensing Board (BCLB) is the body responsible for issuing and revoking licenses to operators in Kenya. All gambling operators are supposed to renew their licenses before 30th June of every year. This is a strategy used to ensure that operators stay up to date with the constantly evolving industry. Even though online gambling is not legal in Kenya as per se, there numerous international sites where one can play.
How We Rate Top Real Money Online Casinos
With so many online casinos accepting players from Kenya, it can be quite a big challenge for both new and experienced punters to find a trustworthy gambling site. That is where we come in handy. We have highlighted some of the essential features to consider when choosing a good online casino to play in Kenya. They include:
- License and Regulation: Licensing is very crucial to all online casinos as it proves that the provided services and products are standardized by a recognized authority.
- Security: Each casino must be protected using advanced technology like SSL encryption to prevent loss of customer data.
- Size of Welcome Bonus and Promotions: A good casino must offer generous welcome bonuses for new players and frequent on-going promotions for existing customers.
- The efficiency of Payment Options: The support banking options should be safe, hassle-free, limitless and easily available to all customers.
- Game Selection: The site must have a large portfolio of entertaining and high paying games available in fun mode and real money version.
- Availability of Support: The support agents should be friendly and available to assist through different channels like email, telephone or live chat 24 hours 7 days.
Real Money Casino Games for Kenyans
There are various types of real money online casino games that are offered by leading operators in Kenya. The software developers employ cutting edge technology to deliver casino games that are engaging, highly rewarding and with lucrative features. The casino games available are tested by independent third parties firms like TST and ECOGRA to ensure that they are safe and fair for players. Below are some of the most popular real money online casino game are:
Online slots are the simplest and most popular games in the market. You can choose to play the standard slots or progressive jackpots with big payouts. The best slots titles are Book of Ra, Mega Moolah, Mega Joker, Zeus, Enchanted Garden and more.
Online video poker games attract many people as they combine skill and luck. There are many variations available, such as Deuces Wild, Jacks or Better, and more.
This skill-based game is available in leading real money online casinos in Kenya. Besides offering high payouts, blackjack comes in different versions, including Spanish 21, Pontoon, Blackjack Switch, European Blackjack, etc.
Roulette is a luck-based casino game where you bet on the pocket where the ball will settle after spinning. The most common types are European, American and French roulette games.
Live Casino vs. RNG-Powered
Live dealer casino gaming is one of the best ways to gamble online today. This new way of gambling attracts not only Kenyans but players from other parts of the world as well. Some of the main differences between these two versions are:
- Random Number Generator (RNG): Live casino games don’t use the standard Random Number Generator (RNG) software, they are operated by real people from real studios or casinos.
- Social Aspect: Live casino games are designed to deliver the same thrilling feeling and experience of brick and mortar casinos. Players can chat with each other, talk to the dealer or even tip them.
- Real Money Mode: Unlike the RNG casino games, live dealer versions are available in real money mode only.
Reputable Online Casino Software Developers
Online casino software developers play a very crucial role in the gambling industry. They not only create games but ensure that the bonuses and promotions are running smoothly and the software is up to date. These companies invest in modern technology to enable them to create highly entertaining and engaging casino games. Some of the big names in the market include:
- Real-Time Gaming
Payment Options and Currencies
While many online casinos accept Kenyans, it is not easy to find one that accepts the local currency – Kenyan Shilling (KES). Many online casinos require one to convert their KES to other currencies such as GBP, EUR, USD, etc. before they start playing real money games. The shortcoming of such online casinos is that currency conversion fees will be deducted from the deposit. The most reliable deposit and withdrawal options for Kenyans are:
Credit and Debit Cards: these are the most popular payment options for Kenyans. They are easy to use and widely available. They include Mastercard, Visa, and Maestro.
E-Wallets: digital wallets attract many people because they offer fast and safe payouts to customers. You can choose either Skrill, Neteller or PayPal.
Bank Transfers: many real money online casinos also accept bank or wire transfers. This option is safe despite being slow.
Cryptocurrencies: some online casinos accept cryptocurrencies as well. They are fast, secure and hassle-free. The common crypto coins are Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin.
Blacklisted Real Money Casinos in Kenya
It should be noted that not all real money online casinos in Kenya are safe to register and use. At many times, online casinos are blacklisted for:
Customer support: some online casinos are banned because of employing unqualified customer support agents or for failing to settle customer disputes.
Lack of license: other casinos are blacklisted because they are not licensed by recognized authorities to offer services.
Delayed payouts: many online casinos are blacklisted for taking too long before they issue payouts to players.
Unfriendly terms and conditions: some operators are blacklisted for imposing very harsh terms and conditions to players.
In order to avoid those casinos and stay on the safe side, you can always read our online casino reviews, those reviews are done by professionals who have years of experience in the gambling industry.
Mobile Casino Gaming in Kenya
The reason many Kenyans opt for mobile casinos is that you can win real money from anywhere. Currently, 90% percent of adult Kenyans have access to mobile devices, with 50% being smartphone users. Online casinos that are optimized for mobile devices offer plenty of games, fast payout options, and much more like the desktop versions. Some websites have downloadable mobile apps for Android and iOS while others are built in HTML5 to deliver excellent use in browsers.
Bonuses and Special Promotions
The best online casinos that accept Kenyans reward new players with big welcome bonuses when they sign up. Also, existing customers are rewarded with different special promotions to help them build their bankrolls. The most common casino bonuses and promotions are welcome bonuses, match deposit bonuses, free spins, payment option bonuses and many more. However, it is recommended to read the blueprint of casino bonuses before you claim. Some bonuses come with wagering requirements that must be met before the winnings can be withdrawn. The best payment options available at real money online casinos in Kenya are the ones that employ advanced security systems like SSL to ensure that there is no financial data that is lost to hackers.
Real Money vs. Free Play Online Casino Games
Many online casino games are available in free play and real money versions. Although both versions are entertaining, they come with some differences.
Registration: real money online casinos require you to sign up while free play casinos don’t need registration.
Big Wins: playing at real money casinos comes with huge payouts while free play casinos are only for entertaining.
Fun: playing real money casino games is much more intriguing than when you play in free play mode.
How to Start Playing at Real Money Online Casinos
It is quite simple to start playing at real money online casinos in Kenya. Follow these steps to get started:
- Sign up: find a good online casino and register.
- Validate: You need to activate your account by clicking on the link that will be sent to your email address.
- Deposit: go to the cashier section and select the ‘Deposit’ option from the list. Then you enter the minimum required amount.
- Play: navigate to the game lobby and choose any real money casino game that you prefer.
Pros and Cons of Real Money Online Casino in Kenya
In as much as gambling is thriving in Kenya, it comes with some strengths and weaknesses that we have highlighted below:
- Convenience: online casinos can be accessed from anywhere – on the move or from the house.
- Variety of Games: they offer popular types of casino games, including slots, table and cards, jackpots and live dealers.
- Budget-Friendly: online casinos accommodate people with all budgets – both low and high rollers.
- Bonuses: they use incentives like free spins to attract new customers to register.
- Huge jackpots: some online slot games come with life-changing jackpots to be won.
- Trustworthy payment options: players can transfer funds to and from their accounts safely and on time.
- Excellent Support: online casinos offer 24/7 customer support to ensure that all customers get the help they need without any difficulty.
- Gambling addiction: many people are prone to becoming addicted to casino games as they are immersive and engaging.
- Rogue casino: some casinos that are neither licensed nor regulated are known to steal customer data and use it for another illegal purpose.
Responsible Gambling in Kenyan Casinos
Kenyan online casino operators understand the value risks involved in gambling, which is why they strive to provide a safe gaming environment. Some of the strategies they use to provide safe gambling include:
- Encourage victims to share their gambling experiences
- Advice players not to use money planned for other activities
- Enable players to set limits
- Avoid alcohol while gambling
- Gamblers Anonymous service
The Bottom Line
The advent of real money online casinos changed the concept of gambling. It is no longer a must for you to travel for hours to enjoy playing your favorite casino games. Dozens of online casinos accept Kenyans to play different real money games either on the go or from the coziness of the house. These casinos use different forms and sizes of bonuses to attract new customers and retain loyal customers. The best online casinos support various banking options and currencies, including KES to enable swift transactions. Despite the recent few wrangles associated with the online gambling industry, the future of casino gaming is bright in Kenya.
Can I play real money casino games in Kenya?
Yes, there are many casinos where you can play all your favorite games and win real money.
What is the legal age of gambling in Kenya?
You must attain the age of 18 years to be allowed to create an account and play real money games.
Are online casinos in Kenya safe?
Yes. All online casinos are licensed and regulated by renowned authorities like the UK Gambling Commission, Malta, and Gibraltar.
Is it legal to gamble in Kenya?
Yes. It is legal to sign up at any online casino that is licensed and regulated by international authorities.
Can I play on mobile devices in Kenya?
Yes. Almost all leading online casinos in Kenya are available on major mobile devices powered by Android and iOS operating systems.
Can I deposit money in Kenyan Shillings (KES) currency?
Sure. Some online casinos allow Kenyans to deposit and withdraw funds in the local KES currency.
Which are the most popular online casino games in Kenya?
There are different types of online casino games, including slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat, video poker as well as live dealer.
Are online casino games available for free?
Yes. Most online casino games except the live dealer version are available in the free play version and real money.
Can I download gambling apps on my device?
Yes. Some online casinos have native apps that are compatible with mobile devices and desktop.