Roulette is a casino game that has been played for centuries, yet it remains to be one of the most played casino games. This is perhaps because of the games’ easy to understand and follow rules. Plus, it’s very varied in the outcomes, which makes it a thrilling game to play. In fact, to play it online, all you need is to understand the game’s table, roulette wheel, the different bets that you can place and how to play the game.
In this page, we are going to take you through all you need to know about playing roulette such that you can play with the pros confidently. We’ve also recommended a few Kenyan friendly casinos if you’d like a place to try your luck!
Best Online Casinos to Play Roulette in 2021:
|1||22Bet Casino Review||Welcome Bonus 100% Up To 35000 KES||Claim Bonus|
|2||Dingo Casino Review||Welcome Bonus 100% up to $4000 + 200 Free Spins||Claim Bonus|
|3||1xSlots Casino Review||Welcome Bonus Up To €1500 + 150 Free Spins||Claim Bonus|
A Brief History on Roulette
Roulette is notoriously referred to as the ‘Devil’s Game’. This is thanks to a famous gambler known as Francois Blanc, who supposedly struck a deal with the Devil to give him the key to unlocking wins. This conspiracy is flamed by the fact that all the numbers on the wheel add up to 666 – which is the devil’s number according to the bible.
Yet, despite this infamous reputation, roulette has been played for centuries, by millions of players. The game was accidentally invented by a renowned French mathematician, Blaise Pascal, who lived between 1623 and 1662. The mathematician was trying to invent a perpetual machine, which resulted into roulette.
Since then, the machine has undergone several alterations to develop the modern day roulette game, which you can play at the land based and online casinos.
Online Roulette Game
While you can play roulette at the brick and mortar casinos, it’s the online version of the game that’s widely popular among players. This game brings the excitement and thrills of roulette directly to your tablet, mobile or PC. This is achieved using a detailed on-screen interface that you’ll use to control all the aspects of the game. These aspects include the following:
- A Roulette Wheel: There are three types of wheels; two of which are similar in style. These include the European and French roulette wheels and the American Roulette wheel. The first two have numbers 0-36, while the American wheel has numbers 00-0-36. The roulette wheel tends to have slots, where the roulette ball lands in
- A Roulette Table: Like the wheel, there are three types of tables that you’ll come across. The French roulette is usually written in French (duh!), the European Roulette table and the American roulette table. They all feature the corresponding numbers described above!
- Roulette Ball: The ball is standard in all the games. At the land based casino, it’s usually a smooth white marble/ivory ball. Online, it’s a graphical representation of a ball. The role of the ball is to spin in the opposite direction of the wheel and help determine the winning number
How to Play Roulette Online
So, we’ve looked at the roulette interface at the casinos. But how do you play the game. Or rather, how do these three aspects of roulette interlink to produce the exhilarating gaming experience? Here’s how:
- Step #1: You need to pick your preferred roulette game. There are literally hundreds of games to pick from online
- Step #2: You need to place your bet. If you are playing the software based version of the game, this involves placing the chips on certain positions as described in the section that follows below
- Step #3: Once you are satisfied with your selection(s), hit the spin button to get the roulette wheel spinning and the ball bouncing on it
Note: You are a winner if the prediction you’d made comes to pass. The house will pay out winning bets and collect the losing ones
Different Types of Bets that You Can Make as you Play Roulette
There are usually more than eight types of roulette bets that you can make at the table. These bets are broadly categorized into two sections.
They are made on the inside side of the table. They include the following:
- Straight bets
- Split bets
- Street bets
- Corner bets
- Six Line bets
These bets are placed on the outside part of the roulette table. They include the following:
- Black/Red bets
- Even/Odds bets
- High/Low bets
You can read more about these types of bets in our comprehensive roulette guide, which will guide you on how you can place these bets, and the odds that each one offers you!
|1||1xSlots Casino Review||Welcome Bonus Up To €1500 + 150 Free Spins||Claim Bonus|
Types of Roulette Games Offered Online
You’ve probably read this severally online, but we can’t stop insisting that there are more than 300 types of roulette games. Yet, these games are broadly classified into two main categories:
- The software based roulette games: This type use the random number generator software to determine the game’s results
- The live version of roulette: Thanks to these games, you can enjoy real land based casino experience from the comfort of your home. The live casino games are usually streamed straight from studios around the world, where dealers spin the wheel as if they were at the casinos, straight to your mobile or PC.
Live roulette games are quickly gaining popularity and traction among players because of the level of immersion that they offer.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two categories of games?
Software Based Roulette
- You can play the games for free
- Very friendly bet limits – low and high limits in all casinos
- Widely available across multiple (almost 90% of the casinos)
- Fully optimized for play on the mobile platform
- An immersive roulette casino experience
- Games are dealt just as they would at the land based casinos
- The results of the game are in real time
Software Based Roulette
- The software based aspect kills the fun of the game
- Due to the streaming aspect, live casino games require high speed internet connection
- Some of the online casinos don’t offer live casino games
French, European and American Roulette – A Look at the Different Types of Games
Software and live casino categorization is just the larger part of the roulette classification. Beyond these two categories, there are three other categories that we’ve already mentioned in our introduction. They include the following:
- French Roulette: This is considered as the original version of roulette and constitutes of 37 slots, including a single zero. The game also follows a special En-prison rule, which allows you to spin the wheel again if the ball lands in the zero slot. On the table, the wordings are in French
- European Roulette: This is the modified version of the French roulette and has a similar configuration. It constitutes of 37 slots, with a single zero
- American Roulette: American roulette came into existence when the French migrants introduced the game to the American natives. This version of the game is a modification of the French roulette game and has 38 slots on the wheel, instead of 37. This extra slot comes about because of the extra green double zero 00
Regardless of the roulette game you choose to play, the same rules apply i.e., selecting a game, placing your bets and spinning the wheel.
Popular Roulette Games Online
Which roulette games can you play online? There are hundreds of games, with each one of them coming with different bet limits, styles of play, graphics and other features. However, these are some of the popular titles that you can try your hand on.
- Low Stakes roulette
- Deal or No Deal roulette
- 3D roulette – If you are looking for the ultimate realism when playing roulette, this is the game for you
- First person lightning roulette
- Speed auto roulette
|1||Dingo Casino Review||Welcome Bonus 100% up to $4000 + 200 Free Spins||Claim Bonus|
Roulette House Edge – What Are Your Chances Of Winning?
There are three main categories of roulette games, which result in hundreds of games to pick from. Yet, regardless of the sheer number of games, the house edge of roulette is limited to two categories. Let’s take a look at this topic in details
What is the house edge?
In simple terms, the house edge refers to the advantage the casino has on the roulette game you choose to play. In roulette, this is classified into two categories:
- The 5.26% house edge is for the American roulette.
- The 2.74% house edge is for the European and French roulette. In French roulette, the house edge can go slightly lower to 1.35%, when the En-prison rule is introduced
Why the difference in house edge?
The introduction of the double zero in the American roulette game is the main reason why there’s a double house edge in the game.
Which game should you choose?
It, therefore, means that if you’d like to increase your winning chances, you are better off playing the European and French versions. However, if you are looking to score big wins, the American version of the game is the recommended one
Roulette Tips and Tricks
While mastering the roulette basics is an essential requirement to win at the game, you could use some advice to help you boost your winning chances.
- Tip #1: Have a proper bankroll management plan. This is the only way that you can ensure that you play roulette for long and thus increase your winning chances
- Tip #2: Master all the basics – game rules, types of bets, house edge, the table and wheel format among other things
- Tip #3: Once you have all the basics on your fingertips, play roulette for free, before committing any real money to the game
- Tip #4: Only choose to play roulette at reputable online casino sites. It’s the only way of ensuring you have a fair gaming experience
- Tip #5: Get a roulette strategy, practice it to perfection through the free to play mode and use it to play
Strategies, like the tips shared above, are aimed at helping you reduce the house edge. These strategies are usually formulated by players like you, who have studied the game for years, put in hours practicing and perfecting them, before sharing their final findings.
Since roulette is a random game, strategies are only meant to help you extend your bankroll for as long as possible. And as one wise player said, the only way you can improve your winning chance is by ensuring you extend your play for as long as possible.
Some of the common roulette strategies include:
- Martingale roulette strategy
- D’Almbert roulette strategy
- Grand Martingale roulette strategy
- James Bond strategy
- Fibonacci Roulette Strategy
Mobile Roulette Gaming – Instant Vs. Download Games
There has never been a better time to play casino games than today. Thanks to mobile technology, players can now enjoy casino services whenever they feel like. In fact, so common are the mobile casinos that it would be weird that a casino doesn’t have the offering in place. And the best thing, you can play all the games and enjoy other services available on the PC platform.
But before you can start playing your roulette games online, it’s crucial that you understand the different types of mobile roulette games.
- Instant Play Roulette Games: Also referred to as no download or flash casino, instant roulette games are those that you can access straight from your browser. You don’t have to download any software in order to enjoy these games
- Flash Roulette Games: These are the download games and are the complete opposite of the instant roulette games. In order to enjoy them, you have to download the casino’s application or software to your device. Due to factors such as the space they take on the device and risk associated with downloading software, flash games tend to be less popular than instant games
|1||1xSlots Casino Review||Welcome Bonus Up To €1500 + 150 Free Spins||Claim Bonus|
Are you aware that besides the free to play casino games, you can play roulette online and win real money – FOR FREE? Thanks to casino bonuses and promotions, you can claim free money, use the free money to play roulette and win real hard cash that you can withdraw. In case you are wondering how this is possible, well it is thanks to the following bonuses and promotions at the casinos.
- Welcome bonus offer – Free money awarded when you sign up at the casino
- Reload bonus offer – Every time you make a second, third or fourth deposit, you are awarded cash through this promo
- Cashback promotion – You get back part of your money after spending a given amount at the casino. It doesn’t matter whether you’ve won or lost, as long as you’ve hit the limit, a percentage of the cash is deposited back to your account
- VIP program – This is a special program that ensures you claim all the above bonuses – at a better and more enhanced rate.
Pros and Cons of Playing Roulette
What are the advantages and disadvantages of playing roulette online?
- Very little skill is required to play the game
- A varied bet limit ensures everyone can play roulette online
- A variety of games right at your fingertips
- Mobile gaming ensures that you can carry roulette with you whenever you feel like
- The option of being able to play live roulette as if you are at the casinos from your mobile
- It can be addictive when no proper measures are taken
- If you visit a rogue or scandalous casino, there’s the risk of losing your personal or financial info
All in all, online roulette is an exciting game just as it is rewarding to play it. You can always read more about all the games in our detailed roulette reviews but if you feel you are ready to give it a try, visit any one of the recommended casino sites. And as you play the game, remember to GAMBLE RESPONSIBLY! Don’t spend what you can’t afford to lose!
Online Roulette FAQs
Yes, it is possible to play roulette for free. Every software based roulette game is usually playable for free. This mode is meant to help you familiarize yourself with the game before committing real money.
The only difference between these two game modes is that money is involved in the real money mode. In the free money mode, you get to win virtual money that you cannot withdraw.
No, it’s not necessary to download a mobile application. You can always play roulette straight from your device’s browser.
There are several strategies that you can use while playing roulette. These strategies don’t guarantee you a win, but when used well, they can help you lower the house edge significantly, thus improving your chances of winning
It’s not possible! Online roulette results are determined by the Random Number Generator software. This software ensures that all the game’s results are totally random, 100% accurate, and fair.
You have to be at least 18 years of age to engage in any form of online gambling in Kenya. This includes playing roulette online.